February 16, 2013

Wendover + a memorial...


We went out to Wendover last night to celebrate the would be 61st birthday of my mother in law. She passed away 11 years ago to lung cancer and left behind a great legacy with her 11 children.

She loved doing things with her family. One of the things that she loved to do was drive out to Wendover and eat at the seafood buffet. This was actually the last outing that she did with her family before she passed away. They had gone out to the buffet on a Friday night, and she died a day and a half later on Sunday morning. One of her kids said last night that it was a good example of who their mom was, that even though she was feeling awful and was so close to dying she still wanted to go and have a good time with her kids.


Trent and I sent out a text to all his siblings a few weeks ago with the idea to go to the buffet for her birthday and all of her kids but one (who lives far, far away) were able to come! One had to drive a crossed the state to be there and another flew in from Colorado... but they made it. I think that's amazing!  So 16 of us piled in vans and made it out to the buffet.

I'm so grateful for this family. I'm grateful that I get to be a part of it. Something that I really love and appreciate about my in laws is that even though they are all soooooo different, have very different personalities, beliefs, ideals about life, priorities... the still get along and love each other. I think it's a rare thing for 11 siblings to still be all friends, and to be accepting and loving of each other even though they have grown up and changed as adults. They have taught me a lot about love and acceptance, and have been great examples to me on this. Sure they argue and fight and butt heads from time to time... but they forgive and that is a true gift.

 Here are the boys... minus my husband who had already disappeared to go gambling...

 The girls... seven sisters plus me!

Here are my 7 sister in laws, minus Sarah who couldn't come. I love these girls. I'm so grateful for them. They have been good friends to me and I appreciate that. There are times that it's been hard for me to hang out with these girls... I'm just going to come out and be honest and say that I'm not perfect and I have a hard time being around girls swimming in babies sometimes. And well... I married into the most fertile family in the world (aside from the Duggars... seriously!). In the past 3 1/2 years since we've lost Clayton there have been 10 babies born in Trents family with a set of twins and a set of triplets in there. That's a lot of babies!!! I know that there have been times when I have not been a real peach to be around, and I appreciate that they have been patient with me, and understanding and have waited for me to come around on my terms. I love them, and all their babies, and I'm grateful that they are in my life. These girls have become my best friends and I am happy to be a part of their lives.

I have to say that the few hours we spent in the casino made me not miss this side of Vegas very much ;). Funny that anytime we went to a movie, bowling, out to a good restaurant we had to go through a casino. It was just a part of life out there, and one that I am fine without! But we did have fun playing the penny slots, and only lost $3 total by the time we made it out the door. I think that's pretty good odds!


Someone got a little lucky with this roll... oh the excitement!


It was a really fun night with my in laws! Trent's mom passed away after we had been on two dates, so I never met her. But even though I've never met her I feel like I have a good idea of who she is, what she was like, what was important in her life. I think that when the day comes that I get to meet her that I will recognize her and know her, because I've spent my life with her awesome kids! She has left a piece of her with each of her children and they are beautiful people each in their own way.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun way to celebrate your Mother in Law. 10 babies is a LOT when you're wishing for one of your own.

    You're looking FAB by the way, Meg. Love those curls! You're a pro and need to come teach me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like a lot of fun. I'm glad it all worked out. :D

    ReplyDelete