September 26, 2011

Toy Organization...

I've been trying really hard to get my home organized. I have a long, long way to go... but progress has begun and that is a great feeling. One that I can now check off my list is getting my little guys toy's organized. I can't take any credit for this fabulous idea, I got it from my good friend Hannah's blog {may it rest in peace...}. She did an organization series once on how to organize kids toys which I totally copied, and I'm so glad! Isn't that what "blog reading" should be about? Seeing great ideas and actually using them to help you in your life? I think so.

We have not used this changing table in a long while, but I'm not quite ready to throw it out yet. So we converted it to a toy storage area in my little guy's closet. 


The bins were all purchased from Wal-mart. I printed out labels with the name of what's in the bin plus a picture so that my little guy could see what belongs in that bin until he's able to read.



I even have a bin with some of his old baby toys, so when little ones come over to play I can just whip out the bin and help keep them happy and occupied. It's worked out great!


I have a bin for quiet "church items" which is only used when we go to church. That way they are not toys that he is playing with all the time so "hopefully" they are fun to get out and see once a week at church.

My only problem is that the church bin is lacking a bit. I'm struggling finding things that my almost 4 year old will want to do in church.

So my humble plea and question is... what do you bring to church to keep your little ones occupied? What seems to work for you and what doesn't? I guess I was always banking on my kid liking to color... but he doesn't. He hates it. So I need to get a little more creative! Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Anyway, I'm really loving this toy system. I have dreams and visions of having an amazing toy room someday, and this is my little start. I'm excited to get more bins put together and in rotation in the closet. The best things about these bins is not only do they fit on the shelves, but I can double stack them in the top shelf of the closet which helps me rotate the bins that are available to play with! Great solution to a previously messy problem of ours. Thanks Hannah!

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to check back and see what people say - we have the same dilemma and Sandy doesn't like to color either.

    She does like the Friend magazine and if I bring a couple of old Friend magazines and give her a pen that will usually entertain her for a little bit. Oh, and chapstick is a big hit although that might not work as well for boys.

    At the moment, her favorite thing is lacing cards. Except she doesn't use them as lacing cards. She wants to go through two or three holes so it will stay and then throw it over the bench in front of or behind us like a fishing pole. Not so reverent. Thus the lacing cards that I was so excited about taking to church will no longer be going to church. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that organization system- what a great idea! For church bags we have some Missionary Action Figures (you can get them at Deseret Book), an I Spy Bag, a quiet book, some chunky books and board books (things like Noah's Ark and I Can Be Reverent) and of course a big container of snacks =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kei, really likes her quiet book I made her, but now I need to add some more pages. She does love to color though too. We bring books and cars (she likes to just push them around). This lady at church one day had this wooden figure that was a bunch of pieces strung together with elastic so you could move it into different shapes, kept all kids happy. Maybe a mini magna doodle kei likes that too. Maybe some workbook sheets, like he ha to find things while sitting down like a blue bow, red dress, purple tie etc. Christina took all my other ideas haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put together a reverence binder this afternoon for my little man! We're trying to move away from toys and into more reverent activities. It's a work in progress, but it includes a couple file folder type games, little ABC cards with gospel words/pictures laminated and bound together by a ribbon, pictures of the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles laminated and on popsicle sticks sort of like puppets, laminated gospel coloring pages and dry erase crayons, gospel pictures laminated and cut into puzzles, and cards with 0-10 on them and clothes pins to attach to the correct number. So far, he loves it. We just subscribed to the Friend and will add that once they start coming in the mail, but you can always go online and print out pages from previous months/years. I really suggest the dry erase crayons. Axton wasn't really into coloring, but he loves it now! Good luck! I'm curious to see what other fun ideas people share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom made us a quiet book...and is still working on adding to it. It has pictures and quiet activities that all my kids like. I bring it a couple weeks in a row, then hide it for a few so they don't get tired of it. I have Gospel ABC binder as well. It's just pics to look at, so not as fun. Also, we let them color on our iPad or phones...no Angry Birds or anything like that. Good luck! It's hard. Our biggest challenge with church the last few months is that the boys DO NOT WANT To GO at all!!! Any ideas on that would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Etch a sketch. We take two. Every week.

    ReplyDelete