I mentioned this to my husband just before we had the baby. Then one day when I was laying in bed with Baby Gray I heard some loud banging in the kitchen.
Trent said he had found a shelve at the DI that was perfect for this spot in the kitchen. "Oh no..." I thought. You see, Trent and I have very different ideas about decorating and furniture. I try not to be too big of a pain about it, but I really like things to look nice. I'm really picky about what shade of wood we have in the house (it has to be dark or painted white) and I had something really specific in mind that I wanted to do, which I hadn't talked to him about yet.... So I was pretty sure that this perfect shelf was going to be interesting.
I wandered out to see the shelf when he was done and when I first saw it I burst into tears...
Yes, the "perfect" shelf he found was one of those 1990 heart cutout shelves. Oh man! I felt bad for crying, but hello! I had just had a baby and was super emotional/not feeling well yet. And it was on the wall, all set up before I could even say anything about it. (I'm sorry if I have offended anyone who loves the heart shelf... it's just not my style, and you are welcome to have it, but you have to come before garbage day on Tuesday). I love how sweet and thoughtful Trent was to do this for me, and it has been super great to have a place to put these things. I'm not trying to sound like an ungrateful wife here (though I'm sure I sort of do), but I just didn't love the style.
Just for the record the next time I walked past the shelf I burst out laughing hysterically. I mean come on... those hearts! Talk about mood swings...
So we have lived with the lovely heart shelf for six months now, and I feel like I gave it a good try. But I really do cringe a little when I see it. I spend so much time in the kitchen, I want it to look nice (or my style of nice at least). Part of my purpose this year is to live, not just exist. So I no longer wanted to "live" with the heart shelf.
One trip to IKEA later, here is my new shelf...
Someday I will make sure Trent has a wooden/heart shelf in his man cave...
Oh man! At least his 'heart' was in it. (hehehe) I'm glad you found an alternative you like. I love the jars too.
ReplyDeleteSeesh Meg you must have broken his heart! Haha couldn't resist. I like the Ikea one it looks very tidy and organized.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHAHA! heart shelf in the man cave! WaHAHAHA! That was pretty nice of him to do something for you, and I never noticed the hearts while I was in there. But the new shelf looks great! If only I could have your help designing my home. I need some serious help!
ReplyDelete