April 30, 2013

Pioneer House - The livingroom...

 Tomorrow marks one year since we moved into this little ole' pioneer house. It's been a good year! We love it here. It's tiny, but it's good for us. It's taken us a full year to get our furniture where we like it and settle in a little. I'm pretty slow at this stuff. I love crafting and making things, but when it comes to decorating, I'm super indecisive as to what I like to do.

One thing I have a hard time with is color. I don't like a lot of color, which can make for a boring space, that's for sure. One thing I know that I do love is wood + white together. I have a whole pinterest board dedicated to my love of wood and white.... but as a result I have a whole lot of brown and white in the living room and not a lot of color. So I think that I need to add some color in here! I want to get my living room all put together before the baby comes, so the nesting has started! But just for fun, here is what our main living space looks like right now.


I love this rug that I bought a few years ago. But I feel like it sort of limits my color choices to green. I've tried putting some yellow pillows on the couch but it just looks wrong with the green on the rug. So I don't know... but I really need some colorful pillows on the couch.


Like I said, lots of brown... and lots of white.


One thing that drives me crazy is the red/blue/green flannel blanket that we have under the coffee table. It clashes with everything! It drives me nuts when the blanket is spread out on the couch and doesn't match anything in the room. So on the short list is to make a comfy quilt that matches this room. I'm thinking I want to do a herringbone quilt (like on the bottom of this picture)... I think it would be awesome!


And then there is this poor boring corner. I really need something on the wall there above the computer and printer. I have an idea in my head of a cool new family tree that I want to make, so maybe I will get that going and put that on the wall there. Also, I re-did this desk a while ago and painted it... brown and white! You guessed it! There are yellow knobs on there but it is so subtle... I think I need to re-paint to bring some good color into the room. Any suggestions?


I have a big open wall here. I think I'm going to find a long dresser to put here and refinish. This is going to be where I keep the babies stuff. You have to be creative when you live in a small space!


Here is my attempt at a gallery wall! It needs a little help! I'm going to trade out some of the black frames for white ones and most of the black and white pictures are going to be replaced with new colored ones, and add a few new things to the wall. Also, this two drawer night stand is going to be moved into our room. We don't use it in here and it's too big for the space. I'm on the hunt for a tree round that I can make into a little side table for this space. I'm thinking something like this. Ahhhh... wouldn't that just be amazing!

So there is a little sneak peek into our living area! It needs some help... but I've got a list made and I've started working on some projects to make it a little more bright and lively.

Here are some color combo's that I like that I'm going to try and work with...


+
 

+
 
 
Any ideas on what colors would look good in here? Hopefully I can get it pulled together soon!

6 comments:

  1. I lean towards the picture of blankets, but I like blue. I think the top one is more you. You could add some greens and yellows, they scream Meg to me. ;D Good luck. I can't wait to see what your creative mind comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way! I have so much brown and white in my house and very little color. I guess I'm afraid to commit to a certain color scheme or something. Lately I have been thinking I need to get some color in my house. I like the color combinations you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the pictures of your girl sitting on the couch that you just put on your blog and I LOVE YOUR STYLE!!! I love the brown couch and light rug with colorful pillows. That's what I hope that achieve with this!

      Delete
  3. I'm the opposite- our entire main level, 2 storey entry and upstairs hallway is 'Sundance' yellow by Benjamin Moore =o)

    I like the colour pallet that you choose- maybe an accent wall or two would brighten it up for you. Is it possible to recover the edge of the rug? Then you could customize it.

    I'm excited to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh.. an accent wall would be nice, but with us renting I don't want to paint anything, or think that we can. I thought about cutting off the edge of the rug but I don't know if I could stitch around it and have it look good. After looking for fabric for three days to make pillows to match the rug I think I'm just going to get rid of it. I love it but it's old, and stained, and hampering my style...

      Delete
  4. I think you could totally add yellow if you cool it down by adding some blue as well. I don't know how you feel about pink tones but adding a punch of peach or even going bold with a hot pink could really add something daring and fun.

    ReplyDelete