September 15, 2012
Diced Italian Tomatoes...
I've been dabbling at canning the last few weeks, and I've been canning my own home grown tomatoes. I wanted to do something big like large batches of spaghetti sauce or salsa... but I've only had enough tomatoes turn red at the same time for 12 jars of diced Italian tomatoes. I think I need more tomato bushes next year... 6 just didn't cut it for a large scale canning operation. I might be able to do a few more before the growing season is over, we'll see.
I owe a big thanks to my sister in laws for letting me use their pots and for moral support at a moments notice. I had no clue what I was doing, but they know how it goes so they were super helpful!
There is something magical about picking your own tomatoes and then canning them. And at the end of your hard work when those little buttons seal on the lids... now that is success! I may have only gotten 12 jars so far, but that is 12 more than I've ever done before so I feel good about that!
I used this recipe which is also in the official Ball canning book. What do I plan on using these for? Taco soup, it's super yummy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They look delicious. Canning is fun but can be stressful when you think something has gone awry and all your hard work might be for nothing. Hope you enjoy them. Love seeing what you are up to!!
ReplyDelete