February 13, 2012

Happiness...

I've been feeling a little down lately. I know that happiness is a choice and regardless of our circumstances we have the choice of how we will react and what our attitude is. But I still find myself having a hard time being happy when life feels so so so hard.

We finally had a great lead on a job for my husband. One that would be so perfect for him and our family. It was looking like things were going to work out and they seemed to really like him. But as the weekend approached the story changed, and it's not looking so hopeful anymore. I'm pretty heartbroken about it.

That among a few other mountains standing directly in front of me have left me feeling pretty sad. I'm trying hard to reach deep and find some joy in my heart to buoy up my spirits.

Despite taking a few steps back this weekend we went on a little excursion with our family, and found ourselves at the base of a volcano. It was a beautiful day, with blue skies and the warm sun shining down on us. And I think for about one hour this weekend I just soaked up the world around me and left my worries at the head of the trail. We took our nieces and nephews up the volcano.


We started out the hike pushing my triplet nieces and nephew in the stroller but soon found it would be much easier to carry them. I have to say I've never hiked while carrying a baby before. It was wonderful!


We left the babies and my sister's in law when the hike became more of a hike than a walk, and my husband and I took the other 5 kids up to the top.





Here we are at the top! When I saw this picture I thought, "Wow... look how happy I am!" and I was. I haven't been hiking in a long time which is something that I really love to do. Spending time outside doing something physical with the sun shining down on you really is healing to ones soul.

My goal is to make this smiling face the norm around here, not the rare exception. My plan is to spend the day counting my blessings and finding joy in my life instead of dwelling on the setbacks. To try to view the way things work out as a redirection to something that could be even better. Here is my list so far...

1- My husband remains so positive regardless of discouragement which is such a blessing. He is my rock.
2- He did start a temporary nursing job today which is such a huge blessing. It's just for a short time and doesn't offer any type of benefits but it will give him experience and it's something!
3- My in laws are rockstars and I'm pretty sure I owe them my life for how much they have helped us.
4- That I have a spunky little boy who climbed into bed with me today and told me he thinks blankets should be called "huggy buggies" and asked for a gorilla cheese sandwich for lunch.
5- That we are all healthy.
6- That my hair gets longer everyday.
7- The knowledge that I can "cast my burdens on the Lord and trust in his constant care" which I am trying to do everyday.

Here's to hope... and happiness.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun hike. When trudging in the midst of sorrow it really is hard to choose to be happy. In our Young Women's class yesterday we talked about how we have to FIND joy. It won't just come and fall into our laps. I hope you find that joy and most importantly... I hope you and your husband will find a job soon and allow you guys to settle down and move forward!! Sending hugs your way.

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it babe! I recently went on a hike and also realized I don't spend enough time outside, which I also love. I now set two days away aside for outdoor fun, besides running. It has been a big help.

    ReplyDelete