January 30, 2012

Getting serious... finally...

I feel like this pig... not wanting to eat my vegetables right now...

I'm starting a diet with my father in law and some of my sister in laws are doing it. It's called the 4 Hour Body in case anyone is interested. I really do have some weight to lose so I'm going to give this a shot and see how it goes. I don't really like diets, but the reason why I'm going ahead and trying this one is because you cut out gluten from your diet. I've heard lots of talk about how cutting gluten from your diet can help women get preggo who are having a hard time. So I figured it was worth a shot, if nothing else to get off gluten for a while to see if it helps me at all. And if I lose weight along with it, that would be wonderful!

Today was day 1. It wasn't so bad. It seems so strange to not eat any bread products. You can have carbs in the form of beans. I love beans so hopefully I can stick to it.

My father in law is super into it. So tonight we weighed in, took measurements, calculated our body fat percentage with his nifty little scale thing. The kicker here... I let my mother in law take before pictures of me. YIKES!!! It was a little brutal. I didn't think that it had gotten that bad until I saw the pictures. Seriously, it was not pretty. The first set of pictures I kept my shirt on but then they (husband and mother in law) talked me into taking them in my sports bra. So yes, it was brutal. My MIL has some good black mail for me that's for sure.

At least I have a pretty face right? That's what I thought when I saw the pictures. So I'm going to put them up on my wall so I can see them everyday to help me stay on track here.

I really just want to feel good about myself again. Something I've noticed since moving to Utah is people are constantly running into other people that they know. It doesn't matter where I am, someone is running into someone. Crap! What if I run into someone and they see me like this? And for the record I have run into two different people that I know and it was a happy reunion and nothing but good feelings and smiles came from that... but still, that thought crosses my mind a lot. I want to feel good about myself whatever the situation and not feel bad about the way that I look now. So here we go! Day 2 is tomorrow...

... and no I will never post my before pictures online so don't ask.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!! I don't think I would be brave enough to let anyone but John take before pictures of me. And definitely no one else would ever see them, haha. Looking forward to following you on your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this diet for 3 months. I am a big fan of Tim Ferriss' books. To sum up my experience it was generally positive. I lost 15 pounds and then plateaued. I wanted to lose at least five more but it just wasn't happening. I think the diet works great and the cheat days are divine.

    I did notice during the diet that it was 10 times more difficult to drag myself out of bed in the morning. For some reason I had no energy in the morning. This became problematic because I usually work out in the morning. I even did the things the author suggests to help with dragging in the in morning (almond butter and flax seed oil before bed) but I felt no difference. Once I stopped hard core with the diet and got a steady intake of carbs again that I wasn't tired anymore in the mornings. I did learn a lot about my body during this time. I was a huge dairy drinker before and now I drink about 80% less dairy, especially in the mornings, and feel much better.

    Blog about your experience with it. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Kurt! Thanks for that. It's nice to hear from people who have done it before. I already have a problem dragging myself out of bed in the morning so we will see how this goes. I'm bugged by the whole no fruit thing... we'll see. But I think cutting out dairy (I'm a big cheese lover) and most carbs will help me hopefully! I'll update my progress here.

    ReplyDelete