September 17, 2010

desk...

We needed to get a simple desk for our computer in the living room. So we found this old one on Craigslist that looked promising.

I wish I had gotten a better look at it before we bought it because I initially wanted to stain the top wood a dark brown, but the very top of the desk was laminate... bummer. I just ended up painting the top surface a dark brown and the rest white. It was a super easy refinishing job. I just sanded it down very roughly to give the paint something to stick to and we just threw a couple coats of paint on it. I thought about filling in the little nick's and such with wood filler but in the end I really didn't care to... gives it character.

Here is the after...
Please excuse my mess of chords behind the desk. Does anyone have a great chord solution because these are driving me crazy! I really love the little knobs that I got. I totally splurged on the knobs and got the cute yellow ones from Anthropologie (it's considered a splurge when the knobs cost almost as much as the desk itself). It was completely worth it though because I think that the knobs totally make the desk! They look so good! They make me smile whenever I look at them.
She looks good in the living room. I think that I am almost done with putting my living room together. A few pillows to make and it will be there. Pictures to come!

5 comments:

  1. SO cute!! Chord solution... get a mac. :) Only one chord to bother with there! Twisty ties also seem to do a good job... and are much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!

    What about a faux back to hide the wires? Or go with the Mac... =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! You did such a great job! I can't wait to see pics of your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use electrical tape to tape my wires together and then tape them to something where we can't see them...either the wall or back of the desk :)
    Looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete