July 23, 2010

Baby Steps - Sleep...

+


Getting good sleep is so important!!! I have had the hardest time going to sleep ever since I became a mom (almost three years ago). I can't even blame it on my kid who has been a great night sleeper ever since he was 5 months old. Nope, it's just me, I have the hardest time falling asleep.

I really think that sleep is essential to being healthy. Your body repairs damaged cells while you are sleeping. I think that it is also easier to eat healthy, and work out when you are well rested.



I've been trying to pay close attention to things I do at night that might be the cause of my not being able to sleep. If I don't get a good nights sleep (at least 7 hours right now) I have a really hard time functioning the next day. It's ridiculous, but important enough that I'm trying to be better at this. I've come up with a few rules that I need to follow in order to get good sleep.

1- If I nap during the day, I have a really hard time falling asleep before midnight. So no naps (this is a hard one because I LOVE naps!)


2- No hot baths at night. This is another hard one because I love hot baths!!! But if my body temperature is too hot then I can't sleep. So no more hot baths.


3- If I am too hot, take a cold shower or go to the pool. For some reason I do sleep better if my body is nice and cool so sometimes a cool shower is in order to get some sleep.


4- My feet have to be comfortable in order to get to sleep. I keep a pair of socks by my bed if my feet are too cold, and a bottle of lotion if my feet are too hot. I don't know why but if my feet aren't comfortable, I can't fall asleep.





Have you found any tricks to getting better sleep? If you do please share!

6 comments:

  1. I have heard something about milk or dairy makes you sleep better. I always have a bowl of cereal with cold milk in it, or a yogurt before bed... I also can't sleep if I am hungry, so it's a double whammy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was having a lot of problems sleeping starting around November/December and I heard that if you are low on calcium and magnesium it can give you insomnia. So I started taking my supplements more regularly and it really worked. I hope that helps. Sleep is one thing that I'm a monster without ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have heard that melatonin helps with sleeping...i also used to use a gentle rainstorm 'music' to sleep to. hope your sleep improves

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so good to see you this weekend. You are Amazing, I just want you to know! I know we weren't that close while we worked together but I have always looked up to you and feel like I always wished I had known you better. It was really great to talk to you in Forget me not. You are truly amazing and I hope this next year is better than the last.

    I have been sleeping less and less lately too. I worry about everything around me and just can't fall back to sleep if I'm woken up during the night. I've been trying the sleep aid called Unisom (but I only take a third of a pill before bed because they are really strong) with vitamin B12. The B12 is supposed to give you extra energy in the morning. They seem to work for me.

    ReplyDelete