
The picture was in color but I made it black and white so that it would be easier to trace onto the boards. I covered the wood with some white contact paper so that I could trace the image onto the wood. I had the picture copied to a transparency at Kinkos and then I borrowed a projector from my church and projected the image onto the wood.
This part was a little nerve wracking. All of those squiggly lines!!! I kept saying, "Honey, do you think people are going to know that this is supposed to be a tree?" I wasn't convinced for a while. The most tedious part of the project was cutting out all of the negative space with an exacto knife. That took forever! Once that was done I put one coat of paint on it and pulled the contact paper off while it was still wet. The paint bled through on some parts and I had to do a little touch up afterwards, but I think that it turned out amazing!!!!
I'm so happy with this project! It's very rustic, so there are lots of imperfections and flaws, but that's what was nice about it. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my crafting so it was nice to have a project that could be a little rough and rugged. I still might take my sander to it and rough it up some more in a few places, you know... to add to the rustic feel. I really do love it. I hate to pick favorites, but I think that this might be my favorite project I have ever made for my house before...
That looks great! What a clever idea!
ReplyDeleteLove it, you did a great job! and you have WAY more patience than I do. :)
ReplyDeletegorgeous! i love love love this! hi, by the way. i've never posted before, but i love your blog. i actually found you awhile back...a few months after you lost clayton. i spent hours that night reading your older posts, crying, and just...becoming captivated by you and your story. I've followed you since and love your faith and strength...and your awesome creativity. :)
ReplyDeleteYours turned out fantastic...love that tree!
ReplyDeleteThat is AWESOME!!! I love it! Great job!!! I need you to come help me decorate my house!!!
ReplyDeleteI love it, love it, love it!
ReplyDeleteMeg that tree is amazing! You did such a good job. Jordan is with a Dr. Streble at Valley Hospital. He's actually really liking OBGYN. Too bad the hours are awful.
ReplyDeleteThat is really awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteMeg, this is so cool!
ReplyDeleteI haven't posted in awhile, but i still keep up with you. I'm so glad you are well and keeping strong. I could only hope to have an ounce of your talent and creativity. Thanks for being so inspiring.
PS: what is contact paper? is that what the white is on the boards? did you exacto the whole thing?? will you FB me with some answers when you have some time?
Looking at all your craft projects really inspires me to want to create some. But mostly this one! I love it! I love looking around your house and seeing them all over.
ReplyDelete