I hate diets. Really, I do. Why? I don't think that most of them are very realistic. I have never been a fan of diets that make you eat cabbage soup (gross) for weeks on end, or that make you completely cut out major food groups. Or that have you only eating 500 calories a day. I've had a lot of people tell me over the last few months that I really should go on a completely raw fruits and vegetable diet since I've had cancer. Really? I just don't think that is the healthiest way to go.
I've been pondering diets a lot lately since I'm trying to lose weight here. I knew that I needed to overhaul my diet since I've mainly been eating anything under the sun that I wanted and I also was not able to eat raw fruits and veggies while I was on chemo. I thought that by adding in salads and fresh fruit again would do the trick and the weight would just start falling off... but that didn't happen.
I also didn't want to go on some crazy diet because I really want my body to be healthy. My poor body... has been through great torture the last little while. Being on chemo affected every single system in my body. Having poison run through my veins for six months has left my body extremely depleted and I want my body to heal. I don't feel comfortable putting my body through more torture right now, I want to give it the food that it needs to heal.
While I was roaming the Internet one day I found this little diet trick, that I'm loving. So here it goes. It's called the No S Diet...

No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds
Except for on days that start with an S.
There you go friends. I have to say that I love this. I love it because this is where my problem really stems from. I love sweets. I really could eat them all day everyday and sometimes have. I'm always snacking on stuff all day long. I almost always grab seconds at dinner, just cause it's there and the food is good. I like that I'm not cutting out complete food groups like carbs or protein, just sweets... because that's really not a food group that one needs all the time now is it.
It took me a few weeks to really get the hang of this. It was really hard for me to go without sweets for five whole days!!! After about two weeks though I was good. I no longer crave sweets all day long. It's also been kind of nice to plan out a nice dessert for Sunday nights that I can totally indulge in, and I have the whole week to look forward to it. I like that I am starting to feel like I have control over what I eat, not that food has control over me. I like that it's just a quick little saying that I can repeat in my head when I'm tempted to cheat a little. And I also like that the weight is starting to come off... and that is a good good thing.
I don't want to go on a diet that is going to make me lose weight, but then be impossible to maintain in my life after that. This is something that I can stick to because it still gives me freedom to eat something other than celery sticks, but reins me in where I need to be reigned in.
So I've been eating four times a day... breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. While I eat what I want to I've been eating pretty healthy. Oatmeal with wheat germ and flax seed for breakfast, salad with black beans for lunch, string cheese and fruit for a snack, and a healthy dinner with protein, carbs, and veggies. If I decide to stray a little, I don't freak out about it, I just make sure my next meal is a healthier one.
So there you have it... what little diet tricks have you found that have helped you out?
***** My Progress*****
Well, I've now lost 7 lbs. I moved up one notch on my belt today, so that's exciting stuff. I have not missed a workout yet, still just doing three times a week. I haven't been running outside though because these 100+ days are killing me. So I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout dvd instead. I'm moving up to level 2 tomorrow... go me!
Haha my mom used to make that cabbage soup from the diet and if you add some herbs it's actually not bad ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat job on being healthy! Maybe one day I'll join you...
I love that idea!! I'm going to try the "No S" diet.
ReplyDeleteI love that little trick! I've been doing something similar--sweets only once a week or if I'm at some kind of function or party. I'm not buying junk any more because I don't want it around tempting me all day. I don't feel guilty if I'm somewhere and I have a little ice cream because I know it's one of the only desserts I'll have that week. Now if I could just get into the habit of regular exercise . . . I'm struggling a bit on that one. :)
ReplyDeleteYou're so stinkin' awesome! My biggest downfall is the sweets! I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth in the world...you're my hero...
ReplyDeleteoooo I like, a lot. I really need to get in gear, I was on top of things before baby but now I am just blah blah - and not to mention they ahve these M&M dispensers all over our office (some rewards thing going on) but that is just soo much temptation.
ReplyDeleteSo I love this motto. (like I used motto not diet). I don't like diets. I always fail on "diets"
I'm with you, I've had so many crazy diets recommended to me but come on, grains are the base of the food pyramid and I can't eat them and still lose weight.(But you really can of course) I've been doing Jillians shred as well, good luck with level two, I was almost in tears the first time I did it, "Abs don't come for free:)"
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the success. When you first told me about this diet, I even felt like it could be something I could do too. I'm glad it is working out. Good job on the workout routine. I have a baby today and my husband asks by the afternoon when I was going to start working out. I had to remind him that the doctor gets to set that date. He is nuts. I think he is really looking forward to us runny together. Maybe I'm his motivation. :D
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I love that you're choosing to do what's healthy. That's what it's all about, and it's unhealthy to lose sight of that, which is what often happens when people do strict or silly diets.
ReplyDeleteGo Meg! Its such a great feeling when you take control of your diet. I don't like diets either. Especially when they cut out entire food groups. What happens when people stop those crazy diets? The weight comes back. Duh.
ReplyDeleteFor me, counting calories works very well. You can eat a variety of things, but you just can't eat too much. And it makes you very aware of how much you eat. I highly recommend it.
What a woman! That's great to hear that you're still going strong. Honestly, you've always been a big inspiration for me to work on my figure. No joke. What an interesting "diet". That's basically all I really do when I want to lose weight without a lot of hooopla is no snacks, sweets, or seconds except Sundays plus working out. How funny that there's a real diet with the same ides! Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteHey Meg,
ReplyDeleteYou are doing awesome. I thought it was interesting when I read this post today, because when you mentioned wanting to loose weight a few weeks ago, I wrote a loooooooooong comment about how I like to keep my sweets to the weekends, and write down my workout plans at the beginninging of the week....just like you are doing now! But, then I think I ended up deleting the massive comment, because I didn't want to be annoying. And I feel like I have given this advice 100 times to friends but no one has ever really gone through with it. So, I'm so glad that it is working well for you. One thing I have also discovered that I like...as far as non-diet type diets go is Somersizing. By Suzanne Somers. Have you looked into it? I like that you can still eat a large variety of foods...just like you said you feel your body needs right now as it heals. It's about food combining, so that your body processes the food you eat the best it can. You only eat fats with protien, you never eat fat with carbs, and you don't combine carbs and proteins. You can have veggies with carbs or proteins. And, you only eat fruit alone on an empty stomach. I've tried it, and I really think it does help with digestion, and I have lost weight doing it. It sounds confusing at first, but it really isn't that bad. But, it is a little challenging the first few days..as it usually is when you change up your eating routine. But, maybe something you want to work into or check out. You don't have to control portions. Just eat until you are satisfied. When I am trying to eat this way I usually start the day with a huge all fruit smoothie. Then, 20 minutes later eat a big bowl of wheat cereal with fat free milk. Then a carb no fat lunch so I can have energy to get through the day, and finish the day off with a protein and fats dinner. I think her book is eat great Lose weight. If you find it in the library I think it's worth checking out, at least for her healthy recipes. I think there are some DELICIOUS ones in there. Anyway, I think you are doing awesome. Keep doing what works for you. And i love your attitude, if you mess up...just do better next time. Do you have netflix? There are some decent/good workout videos on there on instant play. Anyway, it's an idea for adding a little variety to your workouts. I really like the 10 minute solutions pilates workouts. And this time I won't delete this humongous post...just incase there is something you find helpful. ;-) And, I'm glad you haven't gone private with your blog yet...cause I enjoy keeping tabs on your life! I hope you keep keeping in touch!